One day I was bored and decided to cook something. I've googled several types of muffin recipes and the Sweet potato muffin caught my attention. And why not try a new variation and give it a little twist and see what happens. Here's how to make Sweet potato and carrot muffin.
Preparation time: (10mins) Cooking time :(20-25mins)
1 cup mashed sweet potato, (peeled,cut into cubes and microwave for about 5 minutes or until soft to mash)
1/2 cup grated carrot
200g caster sugar
2 eggs, whisked
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup plain flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
75g pecans or crushed walnut
- Preheat oven to 180 degress C. Grease muffin tins or line with paper muffin cases.
- In one bowl mixed together sugar, oil, eggs, water, sweet potato and grated carrot.
- In another bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda nad cinnamon.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, add the nuts. Fold gently until just moistened. (Remember not to over mix the muffin or it won't rise as high as you expect them to be and also when you over mix the batter, the gluten begins to activate in the flour. This will cause your muffins to "tunnel" (large air holes), and be tough.) You want your muffins to be moist and soft not hard as a rock.
- Fill the muffin tins just 3/4 full. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Insert a toothpick, it is cooked when it comes out clean. Don't over bake. Let it cool for 5 minutes before taking the muffins out from the tin.