Thursday, September 20, 2012

How to make Donuts

 

Who doesn't like Donuts? 

I grew up in the Philippines with Dunkin and Mister Donut shops in the corner  where I used to buy donuts particulary the bavarian flavored ones at least once a week. They were really nice and creamy. But today I won't be doing the fancy donuts...(a beginner in donut making, it's only fair to start with  the easy ones.) hehe

Been busy searching the net for the easy and yet yummy tasting donuts and I came across with a donut secret recipe, the blogger's father discover how to make his donuts taste so yummy. For his recipe please click here.


And another variation of cinnamon donut making in taste.com.au where I visit quite frequently for cooking recipes.

The secret recipe here is the mashed potato. You can taste it in the donuts. It's really nice. In this recipe I didn't let the dough rise like the other recipe suggested. Only because I can and I can't wait to taste my donuts.;-) I've only rested the dough for 15 minutes before frying. They will rise once they hit the hot oil.



Ingredients:

1 packet of yeast (approx. 8g.)
3/4  cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup mashed potato (potato can be microwaved until soft then mashed.)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoon oil (vegetable oil)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups plain flour (all purpose flour)
oil for frying
1-2 tsp cinnamon, mixed with sugar for coating

Procedure:
  • Add the yeast to 3/4 cup warm milk (warm the milk in the microwave, remember not to over heat.) Add a teaspoon of sugar and mixed. Cover with a cling wrap and sit for about 10minutes or until bubbly.
  • In a bowl mix together sifted flour, salt, sugar and mashed potato. Mix with a fork until crumbly in texture. Pour in the wet mixture of yeast and milk, add 2 tablespoon of oil and mix. Stand for maybe 10 minutes then mix, adding flour when needed.
  • Knead the dough for about 10minutes or until the dough is no longer sticky but not too dry. Be cautious in adding flour.
  • Roll the dough, about 1 inch thick. Cut with a donut cutter or like me, I just cut it with one of my plastic cup then used the cap of cinnamon powder to cut a hole in the donuts. Works fine with me. Rest for about 15 minutes.
  • Heat about 2-3cups of oil in the frying pan. Make sure your donut can float when it's cooked. Check if oil is hot enough or too hot by dropping a piece of the dough. If the dough is browning too fast your oil is too hot reduce the fire for best result. You want your donuts to be light golden brown and cooked through. Cook 2 to 3 donuts in batches for approximately 1 and half minute per batches. Drain on paper towels.
  • Toss one donut at a time in a sugar/cinnamon mixture until well coated.

No comments:

Post a Comment