Friday, September 14, 2012

How to make "Toasted Siopao"


Toasted Siopao is not the same steamed  one we can usually buy from the bakery or restaurant. Toasted Siopao is basically a bun with siopao fillings and just like any ordinary bread we bake this in the oven. It originated in Bicol Region but we can find them in some bakeries in Manila now, that's how famous it is. I love this and it's one of my favorite food in Bicol aside from Bicol express and laing.


You can try this and tell me how it turns out. I have only tried this once but I am planning on little changes next time. Using the basic ingredients it did not quite reach my expectation with a toasted siopao but it's still very good that even my partner's brother loves them and told me I can bake it and sell it to the town. Ha! He's just very appreciative of what I make and so He loves to come over to know what I've cooked for the day. I can't wait to make this again. The only reason I don't cook that much is my partner complaining He's getting fatter with all my cooking.

So Let's start cooking.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup warm milk1/3 cup warm water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp active dry yeast
2 1/2 - 3 cups flour
5 tbsp sugar


 For the Filling:
2 cups shredded cooked chicken (lamb or pork meat, depends on your liking)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
3 pcs salted egg, quartered ( I used regular chicken egg)
2 tbsp cooking oil
4 tsp hoisin sauce
4 tsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup green peas
 2 tsp cornstarch, dissolved in water
salt and ground black pepper , to taste


Egg wash:
Whisk one egg and a Tbsp of milk together.



Procedure:

  • Combine warm milk, water, 2 Tbsp sugar in a bowl. Stir in yeast, cover with a clean tea towel or cling wrap and leave for about 10minutes until bubbly. (Don't over heat the milk or it'll kill the yeast.)
  • In another bowl combine the dry ingredients, sugar, flour and salt. Then add to the yeast mixture.
  • Knead the dough for about 10 minutes until it's not sticky. Add flour as needed. Place and cover in an oiled bowl and leave for 1 to 1 1/2 hour to rise.
  • While waiting for the dought to rise, prepare the filling. Heat oil in the pan. Saute garlic, onion. Toss in shredded chicken and  peas.
  • In a small bowl combine water and cornstarch. Add in hoisin sauce, oyster sauce and sugar. Mix together and pour into the chicken. Cook for about 3-5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
  • Punch the rised dough to let the air out and cut into maybe 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball then cover with cloth and set aside for 10minutes.
  • After 10-15 minutes, preheat oven to 170 0r 180 degrees C.
  • Flatten each roll to form a circle. Place a scoop of filling and add a slice of egg, gather the edges over the filling, then pinch the edges to seal and secure the bun.
  • Place the buns into the baking tray. (In the photo above I place the bun upside down and it creates a smooth top, you can do it the other way around to create a new look too). Cover with cloth and leave to rest for 15-30 minutes. (I couldn't wait so I just waited 15minutes)
  • Brush the top with the egg wash.
  • Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly toasted. 



Try my Sweet potato muffin too.






No comments:

Post a Comment